Tuesday 5 August 2014

I WONDER WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF WE WERE REFUGEES? Authors Thomas and Jeremy


I sit in the cold, musty dirt. Madmen running around, waving guns in our faces. Every thirty seconds, I hear a scream of someone being slaughtered.To escape from this hellish place, I run in one direction for the sake of my life. There's blood in my eyes and I can barely see a thing. A man suddenly appears in front of me and we collide. He's holding a large blood-stained machete. His hands are red and I can tell he's a mass murderer. He grips me by the neck and prepares for his hundredth kill. Suddenly a gunshot rings in my ears. The man falls to the ground and I see my father holding a pistol aimed towards the man. I sprint towards him and fall into his arms.

He tells me we need to leave. Now! I'm heading towards a boat trying to escape from this place of horrors. I feel a cold shroud of pain, sadness and anger as I approach the old, wooden pier. A crowd of scared, worried people are following my mother, father and my younger sister. As we board the structure of old wooden planks held together by rusty nails. Gunshots suddenly ring in our ears and half the group falls down at our feet. We finally get out of reach for them to damage us and board this so-called boat.

We sail along the deep, blue ocean. Our boat falling apart by the lapping of the water. Suddenly in the distance, I spot a small, rusty, navy ship, surprisingly it's big enough to hold us all. We're saved! I think. The men on the side on the boat are holding guns. Hopefully they're the Australian men that we've heard of. They dock right beside us and jump on our boat. Everybody screaming and running for protection. I stand there shocked. I don't know why everyone is running about screaming. Suddenly I realise who there are. They're pirates.

We're laying on our knees with our hands on the back of our heads. These pirates are the creatures from hell. They take all of the people’s money that they actually have left. They finally come to my family. They ask for what we have and my dad tells then we have nothing. They know we're lying. The main pirate hits my father in the face causing him to fall. I scream at the pirates in a way I've never before. They look down at me and boot me up the hip. Immediate pain shoots up my side. It feels like agony. I can't help but hope that Australians aren't like this.

Days, weeks, even months passed. Hunger was feeding on us down to the bone. In the previous days, people have been falling dead from the lack of food and water. I can't bear watch the people that throw the bodies off the side. Suddenly out of the blue, someone calls out, "Land whole!" I'm so excited that I practically jump from my spot and sure enough, there's Australia. This is the place where people accept who you are.



Rate this story

No comments:

Post a Comment