Sunday 10 August 2014

PERSPECTIVE MEMORICAE - Author Alyssa

 I was on my way to the park with my sister, my mum and my best soccer ball. I wasn't much of a girly-girl. I liked to hang out with the boys and play a harsh match of soccer. The big finals were coming up this weekend and I wanted as much practice as I could get. We arrived at Birtwick Park within five minutes. It was a large park. Tall trees outlined the boarder. A section of the park towards the end was thick with trees and shrubs. Bushy grass covered the earthy soil. Despite the large size of the park, there were only about five families and a few groups of friends.

I ran towards the tall fence that faced the back of a house. I practiced hard, kicking the ball as hard as I could when I spotted a flash of blue light. I looked around to see if anyone else had seen it. No one had moved, so I carried on with my practice. I ran with the ball, I kicked the ball; I practiced kicking the ball on the painted targets on the fence. Then again, what was it? Again, no one looked as though they had noticed it. I thought that my eyes were playing up so I focused on the ball and dreamt of the finals, Again? There must be something wrong with me! I decided to rest for a minute under the old oak tree. After a few minutes, I got up feeling a little more focused. I stared at the ball and then to the fence – this was going to be the hardest I had practiced in a long time. I ran forward, eyes on the ball, my leg swung back then propelled forward. I kicked the ball. It hit the fence and went soaring into the air. I couldn't see it because the sun was so bright.

There again, I saw the light but this time it had the figure of a beckoning, glowing blue pixie hovering in the air. It was tiny, about the size of my little finger. I couldn't tell whether I was excited or petrified. I thought that pixies were fantasy not factual! I blinked trying gain a good glimpse. I couldn't have imagined it for this many times could I? Yes, I must have been... A broad smile spread across my face – I was excited. I looked around for the fourth time and no one was looking. So I decided to follow it. It zoomed passed the trees along the edge of the park. I had to break into a run to keep up.

My heart was pounding, it was hard to breathe. My body ached as I pushed myself to keep up with the pixie. Then she stopped, out of nowhere. I nearly ran into her. We were probably at the corner of the park where nobody went because of the thick trees. She pointed at a thick branch and signalled me to move it out of the way. So I did as I was told and moved it. Branch after branch, she signalled me to keep going further. I had no idea that the park reached this far! I had a few branches to go when I saw a glow from ahead, white this time, like the sun. I moved the last branch out of our way.






No comments:

Post a Comment