Wednesday 10 September 2014

IMAGINING A BETTER WORLD - Authors Ruby & Georgie



Misery consumes me from deep within. I remember a time when I still had 

hope. Hope for a better life. Hope for a brighter future. I imagined a world 

where anything was possible and every one was free to determine their 

own destiny. I imagined a world with no sadness, no regret, no war and a 

harmony between mankind and mother earth. 


I don't know what my future holds but I feel as though all hope has faded 

and the world I imagined is out of my reach. I don't belong here, my journey 

from Afghanistan was like a living hell. I knew from the beginning the risk of 

leaving my own country was vast but nothing could have prepared me for 

the detention centre I now call home. 


One day rolls into the next and now even my imagination fails me. It takes 

every last ounce of energy just to force myself out of bed each day. I 

wonder if today will be the day. Despondently I walk along the barbed wire 

boundary fence that separates me from my freedom. I place my hands on 

the rusted wire and give it a hard yank. It holds fast! I am trapped! I have 

nothing but time and my own imagination. 


I cast my mind back to a happier time. A time when my country was not 

at war. I remember the dreams I once had and I use my imagination to 

transport me back, back to this happier time. I was a young man with a 

dream to become a musician.


No comments:

Post a Comment