Sunday 7 September 2014

THE IN BETWEEN - Author Rebecca

“YOU’RE ALWAYS AT WORK!” Sandra yelled, “ALL I DO IS COOK AND

CLEAN, AND WHO IS HERE TO HELP ME?! EVEN WHEN YOU COME HOME, YOU SIT 

DOWN,  EXPECTING ME TO SERVE YOU LIKE A KING! WELL I’M DONE MATT!” 

I blocked her out. I was sick of the criticism. Sure, I’m not perfect, but nobody is. In the corner of my eye, I saw my daughter Amelia, sneaking through the hallway to the wooden front door. Her short, tight skirt was enough to make me question.


“Where do you think you’re going?” I asked in my tipsy state. ‘Out’ Amelia replied and opened the door. 

“DON’T YOU DARE WALK OUT OF THAT DOOR!” 

I yelled, feeling the toxic alcohol overtake me. 

“HOW DID I RAISE A DAUGHTER LIKE YOU?!” I yelled.

I immediately saw the complete change of expression on her face. It was a mix of anger and utter sadness.

“MAYBE BECAUSE YOU’RE A HORRIBLE FATHER!” she screamed and stormed out. 

The words came so easily out of her mouth, but they didn’t sting. Maybe because they’ve been said too many times that there’s just no feeling to them anymore.


I needed to get out of the house, so I grabbed the keys and opened the black car door. I backed out of the driveway and sped up the street. Where I was going, I had no clue. I didn’t see it in my drunken and angry state. It all happened so quickly. The red light was so sudden and I was going too fast to stop. There was nothing I could do.
_________________________________________________________________________________


Now here I am. The white walls seem never-ending, and the glass floors crystal clear. I walk for what seems like forever, until I see a man sitting at a desk beside a large, grey, double door. He looked about 70, wearing a grey jumpsuit, with a badge under his name tag which read ‘Gate 729 Guard– Tony’. He smiles nicely as I walk towards him, second guessing my choice.


“Wow!” he exclaims, “You’re the most confused one we’ve seen all day!” I try to form questions in my mouth, to get some sort of story straight, but nothing came out. Tony looks down at a bundle of papers. “Matthew Johnson; 44 years old; Husband of Sandra and father of Amelia and Billy; died in a car crash” he reads out.


“Died?” I whisper. “I-I’m dead?”Tony looks at me with a frown, “Yes, unfortunately, but it happens to everyone at one point” he says sympathetically.“But I can’t be dead!” I say, feeling my voice raise. “I HAVE A BUSINESS TO RUN! I HAVE A LIFE DOWN THERE!” I yell, pointing at the glass below me.


“Now, now, there’s no need to get angry at the world. It wasn’t its fault that you drove out into the night intoxicated. Just be happy you didn’t get anyone else killed!” he says, no longer soothingly. I don’t care about anyone else; I care about me and my life!


Tony took my arm and wrapped a watch around it. “You have 24 hours before judgement. Make it right, or go to hell” he says, and the doors open for me.



Rate this Story

No comments:

Post a Comment